Milk Tart is a Traditional South African tart made with milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon. This recipe has been in my family for decades and my hubby’s favourite. This is the crustless, baked version.
Milk tart is a well-known tart or sweet pie in South African households. Some also call this baked version the Greek tart because it resembles the Greek custard tart. You will find milk tart at most parties, afternoon teas and even funerals.
There are different versions of this tart, the stovetop version with or without a cookie crust, or give this easy Microwave Milk Tart a try. This baked version is without crust or you can make a baked version with a baked crust. The crustless versions are also gluten-free. Here is the crustless baked milk tart recipe.
2(30ml) Tablespoons melted butter/margarine
3 eggs, separated
1 cup(250ml) sugar
1 cup flour(250ml cake or all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon(5ml) baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon(5ml) vanilla essence
4 cups(1liter) milk
Mix the butter, egg yolks and sugar together.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt together and add.
Add the milk and essence. Mix well.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add to the first mixture, but do not overmix.
Pour in a deep tart pan and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over.
Bake at 180’C for 45 minutes or until settled. TIP: after baking leave it in the (switched-off) oven to settle more.
Enjoy when cooled down!
Grab your copy of Smul Recipes ebook now!
More Traditional South African recipes to try:
- 2(30ml) Tablespoons melted butter/margarine
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup(250ml) sugar
- 1 cup flour(250ml cake or all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon(5ml) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon(5ml) vanilla essence
- 4 cups(1liter) milk
- Cinnamon sugar
1. Mix butter, egg yellows and sugar together.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt together and add.
3. Add milk and essence. Mix well.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add to the first mix, but do not overmix.
5. Pour in a deep tart pan and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over.
6. Bake at 180'C for 45 minutes or until settled. TIP: after baking leave it in the (switch off) oven to settle for 10 minutes more.