The traditional South African Milk Tart is a popular smooth and silky treat that you may find at many social gatherings. This microwave milk tart version is really easy to make and delicious with a cup of tea.
Milk tart is a tart made mainly with milk(no surprise there!), and in this case condensed milk too, with a sprinkle of cinnamon. It is not too sweet so many people prefer this tart to the sweet Lemon Meringue. It has a smooth, milky and silky texture.
The baked Milk Tart is the version that resembles the Greek custard tart, although this one is crustless. Our microwave version of the milk tart can also be made without the crust or a cookie crumble crust can be used as a quick alternative to the baked crust. It is a tart that can easily be gluten-free too.
The filling can be used to fill small horns or mini tart shells for finger food. This is very popular at a funeral as it is easy to handle while mingling. It is also found at fancy high teas as it fit the finger food theme well.
Preparing the milk tart takes less than 10 minutes and cooking in the microwave around 15 minutes. Allow time for it to set before serving. This tart keeps well in the fridge for a week.
Find the printable recipe below and do leave a comment after you have made it and tell me what you think. Need a tart dish? See this one.
A delicious South African microwave milk tart to try out when you need something sweet to serve at tea-time.
- 1 can of condensed milk. Then use the can:
- 1 can of milk
- 2 cans of warm water
- 2 tablespoons(30 ml) butter
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons(90 ml) cornflour
- pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients together except for the cornflour.
- Use a tiny bit of water to make a slurry with the cornflour.
- Add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix well, ensuring no lumps form.
- Microwave on high for 7 minutes.
- Mix it well.
- Microwave again on high for 5 minutes.
- Mix well again.
- Microwave again for 3 minutes.
- Pour into your dish.
- Place it in the fridge until set.
This is a crustless version. Add a cookie crumble crust if you'd like.