South Africans love yummy treats like Milk Tart, Custard Cookies and Chocolate Cookie Fudge! This Lemon Meringue Tart is not different. You will find the perfect combination between sweet and sour in this tart!
It is an easy recipe and perfect for the kids to help too! Mine liked crumbling the cookies for the crust:
- Crust(any crumbled cookie type mixed with a tiny bit of butter, I used South African Tennis Biscuits, but Digestives works well too)
- 125ml(1/2 cup) of lemon juice
- 1 can(397g) condensed milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 45 ml(3 tablespoons) castor sugar
- Preheat your oven to 160’C (325’F).
- Add lemon juice to condensed milk and mix until thick and creamy.
- Beat egg yolks, add salt. Add to condensed milk mixture.
- Pour into a deep tart dish, over the crust you pressed in first.
- Bake for 20 minutes without top layer.
- Top layer: beat the egg whites until it forms peaks.
- Add the castor sugar little by little and beat for another minute.
- Spoon this onto the baked filling, forming peaked dollops as you go.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until the meringue is light brown.
- Cool and enjoy!