South Africans have a traditional pumpkin recipe called Pumpkin Fritters(“pampoenkoekies” in Afrikaans) that we eat on special occasions. It is a sweet side dish, but unfortunately it can be oily because it is fried. This pumpkin bake is a healthier alternative to that, and also very yummy!
It might look similar to the American pumpkin pie, but without the crust and cream. We do not eat it as a dessert but as a side dish to any meal, I especially love it with a BBQ!
First you need to cook and then mash the pumpkin.
All the dry ingredients comes next, then the rest get mixed up well and added to a baking dish. Cinnamon sugar are sprinkled on top before baking it in the oven.
This is a great dish to make ahead of time and warm up with a few drops of butter before serving.
- 60g All purpose Flour
- 5ml Baking Powder
- 100g Brown Sugar(substitute for honey to make it healthier)
- 1 Egg
- 125ml Cream
- 125ml Milk
- 315g Mashed Pumpkin
- 125ml Cinnamon Sugar
- 40ml Butter
- Pre-heat your oven, 180'C/350'F
- Mix the dry ingredients(not cinnamon sugar).
- Beat the egg, cream, milk together.
- Add the pumpkin and mix well.
- Spoon into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and add the drops of butter.
- Bake for 1 hour.