South Africans have a traditional pumpkin recipe called Pumpkin Fritters(“pampoenkoekies” in Afrikaans) that we eat on special occasions. It is a sweet side dish, but unfortunately it can be oily because it is fried. This pumpkin bake is a healthier alternative to that, and also very yummy!
It might look similar to the American pumpkin pie, but without the crust and cream. We do not eat it as a dessert but as a side dish to any meal, I especially love it with a BBQ! Also see all our Favorite South African recipes!
First you need to cook and then mash the pumpkin.
All the dry ingredients comes next, then the rest get mixed up well and added to a baking dish. Cinnamon sugar are sprinkled on top before baking it in the oven.
This is a great dish to make ahead of time and warm up with a few drops of butter before serving.
Grab your copy of Smul Recipes ebook now!
- 60g All purpose Flour
- 5ml Baking Powder
- 100g Brown Sugar(substitute for honey to make it healthier)
- 1 Egg
- 125ml Cream
- 125ml Milk
- 315g Mashed Pumpkin
- 125ml Cinnamon Sugar
- 40ml Butter
- Pre-heat your oven, 180'C/350'F
- Mix the dry ingredients(not cinnamon sugar).
- Beat the egg, cream, milk together.
- Add the pumpkin and mix well.
- Spoon into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and add the drops of butter.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Enjoy this Pumpkin bake as a side dish to compliment your main course!