Look at this adorable Easter keepsake! By now, you know I’m a sucker for keepsakes! The latest one is a Rainbow Keepsake , do check it out! This Easter Keepsake we did in the same way, too cute right? Print a “how-to-recipe” below to keep handy when making your own!
Ingredients and How-to:
Again, we used 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of salt and half cup of water. It was coloured a light yellow.
I used an oval shaped dish to make the eggs. Then the kids printed their hands:
I added the date and ‘Easter’ with my alphabet dough stamps. Then, I couldn’t find our egg shaped cookie cutter, so I used a plastic cup and pressed it into an oval shape to make the photo frame hole.
It was bake at 70’C for around three hours. I turned it around(face down) to cool and air-dry some more at the back overnight. Once dry, I thought the handprint looks a lot like a chicken, so I added some more features with markers. Obviously you don’t have to, you could leave it plain too!
I did see with another project that damp weather softened the frame so I would recommend spraying your salt dough project with a Clear Varnish to protect it.
Finally, a photo and string and all done! A lovely Easter keepsake! I bet granny would like these as a gift too! (5 years later and she still have these in her kitchen!)
- 1 cup/250g Plain/Al Purpose Flour
- 1 cup/250g Salt
- 1/2 cup/125ml water
- Yellow Food coloring
- Large Oval Shape Dish
- Oval Shape Cookie Cutter
- Letter Stamps
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Color it yellow, mixing well.
- Roll out the dough, about 1cm thick.
- Press the large oval shape.
- Press the hand into the dough to make a good imprint.
- Use the cookie cutter to make the oval shape for the picture.
- Make the small hole at the top for the ribbon.
- Press the date and a message with the stamps.
- Bake for 70'C/160F.
- Leave to cool upside down for 12 hours.
- Decorate as you wish.
- Add the ribbon and photo.
This can be painted after baking too. Decorate as you wish- you can make a decorated Easter egg without the chick drawings too. Varnish for lasting result.