Biltong is a South African delicacy. To explain it, it is almost like beef jerky, but not quite. It is beef meat that is dried out with spices. This yummy biltong & cheese muffins recipe calls for the powdered biltong, but one can substitute it for any cold meat or bacon.
(Recipe from Vrouekeur)
2 cups all Purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup grated cheese(cheddar)
1 1/2 cup biltong powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Whisk eggs, milk and oil.
Add in dry ingredients, but do not overmix.
Scoop into muffin pans and bake at 180’C for about 25-30 minutes.
Serve the muffins warm with butter or add it to a lunch box for a lovely treat!
Enjoy this traditional snack called Biltong and cheese muffins!
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated cheese like Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cup of biltong powder or other cold meat
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk eggs, milk and oil.
- Mix all ingredients, do not overmix.
- Scoop into muffin pans and bake at 180'C for 20-25 minutes until baked well.
Powdered biltong can be substituted with any cold meat bits.
Flour can be substituted for gluten-free flour.