Here are 14 impromptu activities for baby that you can use throughout the day and at times that you need them to “play” independently.
Sometimes(let’s be honest, a lot of times) a mommy just needs a minute to do something without a baby on the hip, so here are a few ideas what you can do those times you have to put baby down.
Ways to Play
- Water in the basin. Simply to cool off quickly or just to play in the water without having to undress.
- Roll on a beach ball or you can use a gym ball. Very good movement stimulation activity.
- Play “tickle-tummy”. It will cause a lots of laughter, despite it being so simple.
- Mirror play. Who is the baby in the mirror? Place baby in front of a mirror to discover the “friend”. This is quite confusing for them, but still fun.
- Peek-a-Boo. Again, such a simple activity, but helps babies to overcome separation anxiety.
- Pull-baby. Use a large towel and pillow and pull baby around the house (movement stimulation). Hang interesting things all around the house. When you are busy in the kitchen, for instance, leave baby to explore something tied to the cupboard near you.
- Hanging string. Take a long rope and tie different things to it, then tie it to anything and let baby pull and discover (reaction on action).
- Suction toys and a window. Use the bath toys or other suction toys on a window for a change.
- Light and Shadow. Place baby in a spot where there is light and shadow. This seems to interest them because of the contrast.
- Towel-roll. Roll baby up in a towel and then roll down quickly again (movement stimulation).
- Pots & Pans Music. When in the kitchen, give baby a few pots and pans to make “music”.
- Place a pillow case filled with plastic bags at their feet to kick against. It makes an interesting sound!
- Let baby play with socks out of the drawer. Peg pairs together and let baby pull of the pegs.
- Let baby lie outside on a blanket to look at the leaves, hear the sounds etc. My baby loves this!
Such simple, easy, but fun ideas to keep baby happy and learning at the same time!
Can you make a traslalator in your pages,please?. Thanks!!! I love your activities for kids, but my level of englis is so limited. :'(
Nadia van Zyl says
Great suggestion Blanca! Will do that soon! Thanks for reading;)