This month’s handprint and photo keepsake is a pumpkin one! A cute handprint and photo of my little pumpkin!(PS: check out this Thanksgiving Keepsake too!)
This pumpkin keepsake is very similar to the Apple keepsake in shape, but I painted it afterwards because after the drying process it was too light to my liking. I used liquid food colouring, perhaps the gel kind would keep it from turning light. (I will use gel food colouring next time and report back.)
So with the other keepsakes(see them HERE), the ingredients are equal amounts of flour and salt(1 cup each we had leftover) with half water(1/2 cup).
OR, just get this set, follow my instructions and paint it orange afterwards!
The salt dough was rolled out, about 1 cm thick.
I cut and modified the shape until it looked like a pumpkin and added the stump(is that what one calls it?)
Then, my son pressed his hand into the dough, not too hard though. A glass was used to make the hole for the photo(still can’t find my circle cookie cutter!) and carefully removed.
The date was added with these cookie letter stamps and holes were made with a bamboo stick. You could add the child’s name or occasion too.
The keepsake went into the oven for 3 hours(and left overnight, upside down, to dry out more) at plus minus 80’C/160’F.
The next day I added the photo by gluing the photo to cardboard slightly bigger than the opening and sticking it down with normal white glue. The string was added and then I painted it to get a brighter result.
- 1 cup of flour(all purpose)
- 1 cup of salt(fine)
- 1/2 cup of water
- orange gel food coloring(or orange paint)
- brown gel food coloring(or brown paint)
- child's handprint
- round glass/cookie cutter
- cookie stamps
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Add the water. If you are using food coloring, mix it in the water before adding to salt and flour mixture.
- Roll out the dough to 1 cm thick(keep a small piece aside for the stump).
- Form the pumpkin.
- Press the hand so that the imprint is clear.
- Use the glass/cookie cutter to make circle for the photo.
- Add the stump.
- Add the date with the cookie stamps.
- Add holes for the string.
- Bake the keepsake for 3 hours at low heat(80'C or 160'F).
- Take out of the oven, turn upside down and leave overnight to cool.
- Add the photo(attaching it to the back and covered up with cardboard with strong glue).
- Add the string.
- Paint if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A lovely keepsake of my little pumpkin for Halloween time or Fall!
Check out this spooky keepsake too, perfect for the month of October!