This sweet buns recipe, or “soetbroodjies” as we call it, is one of my favourite things to bake, because it is so easy and very yummy!
What you need:
– 1 kg store bought bread dough(or make your own basic bread dough)
– 250 ml fresh cream
– 1 cup brown sugar(or 1 cup of white sugar plus 1 teaspoon of caramel essence)
1) Make balls of dough and place it onto a greased deep oven tray. Involve the kids in this step, it sure is fun!
2) Let the dough balls rise in the warm oven for about 10 minutes. You don’t have to do this if you are in a hurry or do not have a warm oven, but I found the texture of the buns just lighter if you let it rise.
3) While the dough is in the warm oven, add the cream and sugar to the microwave or stovetop, stirring now and again until the sugar is dissolved.
4) Pour 3/4 of the sauce over the buns and bake in a 180’C oven for 25minutes. Then pour the remaining sauce over and let it bake another 5 minutes. This prevents the sauce to boil over. If you use a really deep dish, it won’t happen and then it is safe to use all of the sauce at once.
Variations on this simple recipe:
– Use cinnamon sugar
– Use chocolate pieces or spread
– Use nuts
– For a savoury treat use cheese and sour cream
Bread dough with a sweet caramelised sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 kg Bread dough(store-bought or make your own)
- 250ml(1 cup) cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Roll balls of bread dough.
- Let it rise for 10 minutes in a low temp oven.
- Warm the cream and sugar in the microwave until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour 3/4 of this mixture over the bread and bake at 180'C for 25 minutes.
- Pour the remaining sauce over and bake another 5 minutes or until the buns are baked throughout.
Optional: add cinnamon sugar or a sweet cream cheese topping.
Make it savoury by adding sour cream and cheese.
Leave a Reply