I have wanted to make a weighted blanket for my sensory seeker for a looooong time…I have finally done it! With a ready-made comforter duvet!
- We already had it- frugal.
- She is familiar with it already.
- Easier to use a ready made than to make from scratch.
Making this did take me a while(5 hours, on and off) and it was hard work, but, it was cheaper than to buy a new one and it was a great challenge.
Now for the tutorial.
- 3/4 quarter comforter
- +-3 kg plastic pellets(bought from a local soft toy company, but you can get it on Amazon HERE)
- Sewing machine
I sew over the original horizontal sewing lines to reinforce it, in fact making 7 long pockets:
With this step you will have to do some calculations. The weight of your child, how small you want the pockets and the size of your comforter are things you have to consider. The weight of the pellets must be around 10% of the the body weight of the child. I used +-3kg, in 56(7×8) pockets. It worked out to 50g per pocket.
I measured out where I needed to sew and added pins, and made chalk lines to try and sew in a straight line(something I’m not too good at, lol):
I added 50g of pellets to each vertical opening using a sand funnel, this slid down the long pockets:
Then I shook the pellets so it settled at the opposite(closed) side(the bottom of the comforter). I rolled it up(so it fitted in the machine) and sewed on the chalk line, vertically, all the way through. This was done 7 times. The last row of pockets were the most difficult to sew without having the pellets falling out(and it was heavy!), so I did them one by one, all the while sewing the “openings” closed.
Here is an image to explain the horizontal, vertical sewing lines and openings:
And that is it, a 2.8 kg(more or less) weighted blanket made from a ready-made, favourite, comforter duvet! My SPD-kiddo loves her heavy duvet, although I have not seen a difference in sleep patterns, yet. Will update if and when I do;)