Another absolute favorite recipe of our family is this South African Malva pudding or dessert. It is similar to a Sticky Toffee dessert, just better!
Although the word “malva” is Afrikaans for marshmallows, this pudding does not contain any. This dessert goes by many names- brown pudding, Jan Ellis pudding, Karoo pudding and Malva pudding.
The strange ingredient is vinegar and although you don’t taste it, it gives it a unique taste. The sauce differs with some recipes, but the one I like best uses evaporated milk. Get the printable recipe card below. (Also see our Traditional Banana Bread Recipe) *Recipe from Argilla Bakeware
Firstly, get all the ingredients together.
Self-raising flour, white vinegar(I know it sounds weird but when paired with milk it turns into buttermilk), butter/margarine, egg, sugar, baking soda(not powder), milk, apricot jam, evaporated milk. (Get the measurements in the printable recipe card below.)
What to do:
Cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. TIP: soften the butter in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Add the jam. Then whisk the egg and add to the mixture. Dissolve the baking SODA in the milk, then add it too. Lastly, add the vinegar and mix well.
You can bake this in a microwave(12 minutes on high) or use an oven 180’C for around 40 minutes or until a testing prick comes out clean.
The sauce should be poured over the hot pudding when it comes out of the oven. To make the sauce- Mix the ingredients slightly and stir until dissolved. Pour over the hot pudding and serve with custard, cream or ice cream!
A tasty South African Malva pudding or dessert you have to try soon!
Grab your copy of Smul Recipes ebook now!
Sweet South African pudding served hot with custard, cream or ice cream.
- - 65ml/1/8 cup butter/margerine
- - 250ml/1 cup sugar
- - 15ml/1 tbs apricot jam
- - 1 egg
- - 250ml/1 cup self-raising flour
- - 5ml/ 1ts bicarb of soda/baking soda
- - 250ml/1 cup milk
- - 15ml/1 tbs vinegar
- - one can of evaporated milk(385g)
- - 100ml/1/4 cup of sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the jam.
- Whisk the eggs and add in.
- Add the self-raising flour.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and add.
- Add the vinegar and mix well.
- Bake around 40 minutes in a 180'C oven or 12 minutes in the microwave(on high).
- Sauce: Mix the ingredients and heat slightly to dissolve sugar.
- Pour sauce over hot pudding.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
Very nice recipe. We have to try. So easy, flavorful and delicious.