One thing I have learned working with children with learning disabilities: they need hands on activities in order to grasp a concept!
For this activity you will need:
Write the letters on the stickers and stick it on the blocks.
We have revised the letters c, a, t, o and p in the fist two weeks of school, that is why you will see only these letters on the blocks(I added a line underneath the letter p so it won’t be confused with a letter d after I took these photos). You can obviously use whatever letters your kids now and work with that.
I have 3 to 4 kids in a therapy group and each will get a block with all the letters. (A child can play individually and build more words)
- Find letters on the block: Show me your letter c, what sound does it make?
- If I want to spell the word ‘cap’, which letter comes first?(kids show ‘c’) and then?(kids show ‘a’) and last? (Kids show ‘p’).
- Let’s spell the word ‘pot’ together. First child places down a ‘p’. Next child adds his ‘o’, last one adds his letter ‘p’. The next child can read the whole word.
- Phoneme manipulation: change the sounds in the word. For instance: let’s change the word ‘pot’ to ‘pat’. What needs to change?
- Now, let’s start a word with ‘t’. Which words start with ‘t’? ‘Tap’, ‘top’. Let’s build it. Which letter comes after ‘t’? And then?
This is a great segmenting and blending activity, two skills kids need to spell, read and write.
Make word building fun by using real blocks and your children will have a blast revising their CVC words!
More fun learning ideas with blocks:
- Building Block STEM Challenge Cards from Life Over C’s
- Fractions with KORXX Blocks from Still Playing School
- Building Block Maze Activity from Mom Inspired Life
- Free Printable: Block Scavenger Hunt for Letter Recognition from Play Dough and Popsicles
- Fine Motor Development with Blocks from Sugar Aunts
- Building Tens Castles (Preschool/Kindergarten Math) from Preschool Powol Packets
- Word Family BINGO! from School Time Snippets
- Building Block Addition Towers from The Kindergarten Connection
- Superhero Alphabet Matching Activity with Blocks from Stir The Wonder
- Storytelling with Wooden Blocks: Three Little Pigs from Adventures of Adam
- Sight Word ABCs with Blocks from Simple Fun for Kids
- Letter Sound Scavenger Hunt from Raising Little Superheroes
- Symmetry with Building Blocks from In The Playroom
- Building CVC words with Blocks from Teach me Mommy
- Making Patterns with Building Blocks from Play & Learn Everyday