My daughter wanted to bake something on the whim. We did not have a variety of ingredients in the house and she did not want to make “something plain”, so we turned something plain into something magical- unicorn cupcakes!
I must admit I was not in the mood for baking myself, so anything easy and quick was perfect. These unicorn cupcakes tick all those boxes. (Unfortunately, I did not plan on blogging about this, so I did not take many process pics.) Oh, and the cupcakes are so pretty and yummy, you don’t even need frosting!
2 cups Cake Flour
3/4 cup Sugar( I used white)
1/2 cup Milk(I used 2%)
50 ml oil(I used vegetable)
7.5 ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
Food colouring(yellow, pink, blue)
2.5 ml Caramel Essence(optional)
- Beat the eggs and the sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the flour and salt to form a batter.
- Boil the milk and oil in the microwave for a minute.
- Add the milk mixture to the batter.
- Add baking powder and essence.
- Divide the batter into three parts.
- Colour each part with the food colouring.
- Line your cupcake pans.
- Add the three colours to the pans. The order and quantity does not matter as long as there are a few scoops of each colour filling it up.
- You can swirl the batter a tiny bit with a stick before putting it into the oven.
- Bake for around 20 minutes in a 180’C oven.
- Optional: add some edible glitter to finish of the cupcakes after it baked in the place of frosting!
A super easy unicorn cupcake recipe to bake with the kids. Perfect for a party or whenever you(or your kids) feel like baking on a whim;)